What is ACL surgery?
ACL surgery, also known as knee ligament surgery, is performed when a person has an injury to their ligament. This surgery is mainly used to repair sports injuries.
ACL reconstruction surgery is performed to improve the function of the knee. The ACL, also known as the Anterior Cruciate Ligament, connects the thigh bone (femur) with the shin bone (tibia). People who play a lot of field sports can damage or injure their ACL. When non-invasive methods of healing the ligament do not work, ACL reconstruction surgery is the last resort. The damaged (torn) ligament is replaced with a graft (implantation) to repair or improve normal knee function.
When is ACL surgery recommended? What is ACL reconstruction surgery?
1. Unbearable pain in the knee:
Most people have the problem of knee pain, for which they adopt simple methods. Sometimes this problem resolves on its own after some time, but if a person’s knee pain continues to increase then he should contact the doctor because then he may have to undergo ACL surgery.
2. Knee injury:
Sometimes, ACL surgery is also performed in case of a knee injury. This is done because a knee injury can also affect the ligament, causing it to deteriorate.
3. Difficulty in walking:
If a person is troubled by unbearable pain in the knee, due to which he also has trouble walking, then his treatment is possible only through surgery. In such a situation, surgery on the ACL can be done so that it can get relief from this problem.
4. Affecting Functionality:
The knee is very important to the human body, making it easy to move, but when this organ is damaged, it affects its functionality. This problem can be solved with ACL surgery.
5. Being a Professional Athlete:
ACL surgery is mainly performed on people who are professional players because they have suffered a lot of sports injuries and they need to be treated quickly.
The procedure of ACL Surgery
This is the best surgery to cure knee problems, which includes some important steps.
- Anesthesia Injection: Anaesthesia is injected into the knee before starting ACL surgery, the person should not feel any kind of pain during the entire procedure.
- Making a cut in the front of the knee: After tying the vein line in the shoulder, a cut is made in the front part of the knee of the person. Through this cut, surgical cameras and instruments are inserted into the body.
- Removal of torn ligament: After making a cut in the knee, the torn ligament is pulled out. After removing this ligament, the surgeon cleans the area.
- Placement of the new ligament: After the damaged ligament is removed, a new ligament is put in its place. After applying the new ligament, the doctor closes the cut and with this, the process ends.
- Taking the person to the restroom: After the knee surgery is over, the person is taken to the recovery room. In this room, the person’s health is monitored to confirm his complete recovery.
What precautions should be taken after ACL surgery?
A person may face some risks after surgery, but he can reduce the chances of these risks by taking the following precautions:
- Taking painkillers: Since there is pain in the knee after this surgery, the surgeon gives painkillers, which should be consumed by the person in case of knee pain.
- Taking Physical Therapy: Sometimes doctors also recommend physical therapy after ACL surgery. This therapy helps a person to recover faster as it strengthens the knee muscles and also increases their efficiency.
- Eating Nutritious Food: If a person has recently had ACL surgery, they should take special care of their diet. He should take only nutritious food and at the same time, he should avoid cold things as they can have a bad effect on his knee, which can cause his health to decline.
- Avoid Heavy Physical Activity: Since a person’s body is very weak after ACL surgery, he should not do heavy activities. If he engages in activities that require exertion, the consequences can be quite fatal.
- Getting Enough Sleep: It is very important for all people to get enough sleep because when they sleep, the cells in their body are repaired, which also gives their body the necessary energy. That’s why everyone should try to get enough sleep (8 to 10 hours) so that they can stay healthy.
- Keeping in touch with the surgeon: This is the most important thing that everyone should follow. If a person has recently had ACL surgery, he or she should keep in touch with the surgeon until they have declared him or her completely healthy.
It is believed that any problem should not be ignored as it can take a serious form after some time. This also applies to problems related to the knee, often we have knee pain, which most of us do not take seriously. Sometimes our attitude like this can put us in serious condition and then the only option left for us is to have ACL surgery.
Since most people are not aware of this knee surgery, so they are not able to take advantage of it, but if they have the necessary information about it then maybe they can get rid of their knee problem too. Thus we hope that you have found this article useful to read as we have tried to give complete information about ICL surgery in it.
Frequently asked questions about Hip Replacement
Question 1. How long does it take to recover from ACL surgery?
It takes different times to improve the health of people having ACL surgery. On average, a person’s health improves 4-6 months after ACL surgery.
Question 2. Is ACL surgery painful?
There may be mild pain in and around the knee in ACL surgery. Although this pain gets better after some time, for some people this pain can also be difficult to bear.
Question 3. Can a person survive without an ACL?
ACL is a very important organ for any human body as it helps a person to walk. Thus, it can be difficult for anyone to survive without an ACL.
Question 4. Can an ACL regenerate?
ACL which can be cured by surgery does not grow again. Because of this, the ACL does not grow again, but surgery makes its job a little easier so that the person does not have trouble with normal functioning.
If you have any further questions about ACL surgery, contact an orthopaedic surgeon.
Consult our World Class Experienced Doctor Vaibhav Jain Today!
Click the below button and fill all your information and request an appointment. Then we will give you confirmation.